Thursday, November 01, 2007

Don't Cry for Me, I've Been to Argentina

Thank you all for the commiseration about the birthday and the other stuff. Your kind words and two weeks of beef eating have really restored my soul or at least my winter layer of fat.

I'm slowly making my way through the 1200+ photos I took and will post a few but even with the fancy new digital SLR the husband gave me and the fancy new VR lens my mother bought me, the pictures still don't do justice to this amazingly beautiful country.

(Wait a minute, the lens my mother bought me? What, you didn't know that online shopping had reached the nether regions? If it's heaven, then she is shopping online with a much higher speed connection that she had ever had while she was alive. Actually, the gift is one of the benefits of an aging memory. I ordered it online and when checking out was asked if I wanted to include a gift message, so I did, wishing myself a happy birthday and good travels. When the lens arrived, I had completely forgotten about the note and for a very brief second, I really did wonder how my mother could have sent it to me.)

I've traveled a fair amount and have been lucky to see some very beautiful places, but my goodness, Argentina was just ridiculously spectacular. We traveled to Buenos Aires, Iguazu falls, Bariloche in the lake district, and El Calafate, where the Perito Moreno glacier is located.

The latter two places in particular will take your breath away. The country is huge, and we've already come up with an itinerary for the next trip.

The Argentinians were wonderfully welcoming people and were quite forgiving of our limited Spanish. The food was great, even if we did eat more beef, lamb, chicken, chorizo, wild boar, and rabbit in two weeks than we would normally eat in a year, or ever. And we, or rather my husband, did also inadvertently eat some awful offal.

So do start planning your trip there. (Millie, I've got plenty of information, if you are interested.)

Just remember a few things:

Argentinians eat dinner at a ridiculously late hour: 10 pm is early.

You can only get 300 pesos, about $100, out of the ATM at one time, but you can make multiple withdrawals back to back.

Argentinians pronounce the double l sound as a j; so yo becomes jo, llaves becomes javes.

You must choose a team: either Boca Jrs. or River Plate. Not both.

The seasons are reversed so if you want to see an amazing assortment of flowers in bloom go in October.

And if you want to avoid Mother's Day in the United States, go to Argentina in May, because the third Sunday in October, the day after I turned 40, is the day that Argentinians celebrate la Dia de la madre.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, sounds lovely - can't wait to see the photos!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Sounds like a fab trip. And I know what you mean about the dinner time. I've rarely been so hungry! Sorry to hear you coincided with mothers' day. Not really what you needed.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Sounds like an awesome trip!

9:35 AM  
Blogger millie said...

Oh it sounds just fabulous!!! I would love to hear anything and everything you have to say. And pictures. There must be pictures.

(I'm also very curious about your lens and would love to chat about that as well).

7:40 PM  
Blogger ellie said...

Hey, yes. I am still alive- but the sting of the last year is still pretty fresh and we've decided to follow your lead and travel for a bit. We are going to paris for Xmas because I honestly couldn't face another family holiday where I am the only one with no kids. It was just too much. And I can relate to your earlier posts and am glad that you have popped back into blogging- yours is the first I have read in over a month. I have some catchng up to do- but I think I'll still be quiet for awhile longer. But I did want to say hi- and let you know I am reading. Hugs to you.

10:26 PM  
Blogger KarenO said...

Would love to see your photos! And if you haven't been to South Africa yet, you better come here next time you're planning a trip, it's the world in one country - the most beautiful one you've ever seen, I promise! :)

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home