Roadtrippin' with the Pup
For a while now Chubbs and I have been trying to figure out what we wanted to do for Christmas. I decided pretty early on that I wanted to go on vacation instead of going to see his family or mine. His family, we'll see at Thanksgiving; and my family, well, I've seen a lot of them over the past few years.
And it's just time for a change.
So after much debate, we have settled on a roadtrip to California, with the dog. Yes, whether we would spend Christmas with our dog was a factor in our decision. I know that some day I will need to leave her with a stranger, but I haven't done it yet, and leaving her with a stranger, or even a known person in a strange place, seemed like too much to do all at once and for two weeks. And besides, my best friend in CA wants our pup to meet hers. And Pear is a good traveler.
Okay, enough justifiying my dog obession.
We have two weeks and a tentative itinerary: We hurry out to CA in two days, spending the second night near Joshua Tree. We then have two days to get to Berkeley via the coast, Big Sur, etc. We spend four nights in Berkeley with my friend to celebrate Christmas. After Christmas, we head back via Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Santa Fe.
So I know some of you love your dogs as much as I love mine and that you know some of the areas we will be visiting. I have looked online, made phonecalls, and read guidebooks, but I am now looking for advice. Particularly on places and dogs. I've heard that many places (like parks, etc.) that have an official no dog policy actually allow them.
I am most interested in the central coast area because we want to do some hiking, etc., and the CA state parks website is so confusing as to where dogs are allowed and where they aren't. Your dog can camp with you, but not go on any of the trails or the beach? What's up with that?
And soon I will discuss a topic that I've been too nervous to mention.
And it's just time for a change.
So after much debate, we have settled on a roadtrip to California, with the dog. Yes, whether we would spend Christmas with our dog was a factor in our decision. I know that some day I will need to leave her with a stranger, but I haven't done it yet, and leaving her with a stranger, or even a known person in a strange place, seemed like too much to do all at once and for two weeks. And besides, my best friend in CA wants our pup to meet hers. And Pear is a good traveler.
Okay, enough justifiying my dog obession.
We have two weeks and a tentative itinerary: We hurry out to CA in two days, spending the second night near Joshua Tree. We then have two days to get to Berkeley via the coast, Big Sur, etc. We spend four nights in Berkeley with my friend to celebrate Christmas. After Christmas, we head back via Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Santa Fe.
So I know some of you love your dogs as much as I love mine and that you know some of the areas we will be visiting. I have looked online, made phonecalls, and read guidebooks, but I am now looking for advice. Particularly on places and dogs. I've heard that many places (like parks, etc.) that have an official no dog policy actually allow them.
I am most interested in the central coast area because we want to do some hiking, etc., and the CA state parks website is so confusing as to where dogs are allowed and where they aren't. Your dog can camp with you, but not go on any of the trails or the beach? What's up with that?
And soon I will discuss a topic that I've been too nervous to mention.

8 Comments:
Discuss, discuss!!
I did that roadtrip, but with two cats - are you staying at campsites? I have no advice but think it's a great idea and I think you and your pup will love it.
As for the witch curse thingimabob, it's my hideous and unlearned opinion that it was just shit luck. It is just shit luck lovey, it is.
That sounds like a grand plan amd a very beautiful trip. I hope it's wonderful and peaceful.
We'd like to camp (tent, only) some along the way but I can't get a good feel for the weather. I know December is California's rainy season so I've got some back-up reservations at hotels.
Traveling with cats, now that's crazy! My old feline will be at home.
My best advice is to check out this site if you haven't already: http://www.dogfriendly.com/
It's our bible when it comes to "can we or can't we" bring the dogs. Count on the weather to be wet, especially along the coast. You must stop and eat at Nepenthe in Big Sur: http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/
I could go on and on. If you need more specific info, just email me!
Sounds like a lovely trip, even if it will be rainy. I have a yoga DVD filmed at Sedona and I would love to visit there someday.
Sounds like a great plan for Christmas. I think it's great that you're doing it *without* the family!
I am happy to give you the options locally- and I know of a place in carmel that I'd highly recommend as well. So if you are going to be in carmel- where it tends to be a slight bit colder than so-cal. The cypress inn is a highly dog friendly hotel-- in fact they offer pet sitting and most folks walk around the hotel with their dogs. I sat in the bar there last time I went with 4 friends and the table next to us had 3 people and a couple of dogs- it's a totally nice place.
For camping- if you are going to wander down CA along the coast. Montana Del Oro is near Morro Bay and is a state park- it is a first come first serve camping place where no reservations are accepted and if you go mid week you are likely to get in and get a great spot. During the spring the mountain fills with california orange poppies and becomes this amazing wild flower camp. Alittle further south on the coast is El Capitan campground and it is lovely and it is just after solvang (a cool little danish city) and just before santa barbara (a cool spanish style city). The El Capitan camp ground if you reserve it through the state is directly on the beach- or right above. Don't confuse it with the private el capitan ranch which is also lovely to stay in- you can rent a tent thing with bedding but it tends to be alittle pricey. The state parks for mostly allow dogs- it's the leash laws that get confusing b/c most places require dogs to be on leash.
There is another state park which is right past santa barbara in carpinteria called carpinteria state beach- they also have camping that is right on the beach. And it is right in town as well-- so you can easily walk from the camp site into the little town and eat out. The beach requires that dogs be onleash there- but alittle bit north of there at the summerland beach which does not allow camping- but they do allow off leash dog running. Also in santa barbara itself there is a beach called Arroyo Burro and they allow off leash dogs to the left side of the beach- the right side is onleash only. I also know most of the dog friendly hotels in this area-- have dog and like to travel :)
And last year was definately our rainy season- but the previous years before that during Xmas the weather was amazing and in the 70s. Other things I can offer is that lots of places have doggie day care so you can check your dog in and do a museum or two and then pick up the dog and continue your trip. You can hike in the back mountains without a leash-- expect to run into other dogs.
Have fun on your trip!
First time here, so hello! No need to cover up your dog obsession! I too have never left our guy with a stranger and probably never will. I mean who would make him omelets for breakfast?
The trip sounds great!
Post a Comment
<< Home