Thursday, September 14, 2006

I May Not Have a Baby, But I Am One

I'm sure my husband could give you many more examples, but today I am going to focus on just one way that I am more like a baby, than an adult.

Bilateral ot*tis media

That's double ear infection to you and me. Based on all the material I've read to try to find relief from the excruciating pain in my ears, I am the only person older than three years old to get an ear infection.

Every single article offers assvice on how to deal with your infant's ear infection. There are questions and answers about whether to antibiotic or not. Warnings about aspirin and Reye*syndrome, but very little about an adult's issues.

So I went to the doctor yesterday and was again confronted with my "youth." When I told her that my teeth had gone gray when I took antibiotics earlier in the summer, she said, "Well, I've heard of that happening to children." And left out the part, "And not adults."

After examining my ears and pronouncing them severely inflamed, she left to write some prescriptions. What seemed like hours later, she had not reappeared. As a good pro-active infertile, I went looking for her.

She apologized that it took so long, saying that she didn't normally treat children so she wasn't sure of the dosing instructions.

Okay, fine, but I'm NOT a child. I just act like one too often and apparently get sick like one.

I told my husband my tale, and Mr. Optimist of course said, "Well, maybe that means you're just too young to get pregnant."

From your lips, Chubby, to my ovaries.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

But a child wouldn't blog about it :o) I suspect adults get infections just about everywhere, too.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

5:24 PM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Delurking to say, and I thought I was the only grown up ever to get an ear infection! You have my sympathies!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home