My Husband Thinks I Still Want Children
And I do, as long as it happens the old-fashioned way, like it apparently has for 44-year-old Marc*a Cross and for 41-year-old D*ana Krall ("Twins run in my family!"). Now I know there is the small chance that these women merely had sex with their husbands. (I do have a friend who just gave birth at 41, and she just bumped uglies with her husband.) Of course, it would be just the luck of these millionaires not to need expensive IF treatments. Besides getting fat from IF treatments would affect their bottom line. Bah de bump.
And there's my favorite: 46-year-old Angela Bass*tt who had twins via a surrogate but the eggs were hers.
I know these women are entitled to their privacy. God knows I haven't run around telling everyone I meet about the drugs, the cooter cams, the feelings of grief and hopelessness, but if I ever get pregnant, I will tell people about our struggles.
I just hate that these women are perpetuating the myth that it is okay to wait, that it's not too late for you and your reproductive organs. And it lays more blame on the rest of us. The general public, already poorly informed about infertility, will see their stories and use them against us.
"Well, if she can get pregnant at 44, why can't you get pregnant at 38?"
I don't know. Neither do any of my doctors.
**edited to add
NinaB alerted me to this story in USA Tod*y: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-09-06-cross-pregnant_x.htm
I think Cr*ss is admitting that she used donor eggs, but I'm not really sure. What do you think?
And there's my favorite: 46-year-old Angela Bass*tt who had twins via a surrogate but the eggs were hers.
I know these women are entitled to their privacy. God knows I haven't run around telling everyone I meet about the drugs, the cooter cams, the feelings of grief and hopelessness, but if I ever get pregnant, I will tell people about our struggles.
I just hate that these women are perpetuating the myth that it is okay to wait, that it's not too late for you and your reproductive organs. And it lays more blame on the rest of us. The general public, already poorly informed about infertility, will see their stories and use them against us.
"Well, if she can get pregnant at 44, why can't you get pregnant at 38?"
I don't know. Neither do any of my doctors.
**edited to add
NinaB alerted me to this story in USA Tod*y: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-09-06-cross-pregnant_x.htm
I think Cr*ss is admitting that she used donor eggs, but I'm not really sure. What do you think?
Many new mothers in their 40s, she said, rely on donated eggs — at a very costly price tag. "I don't like the average woman being misled into thinking that fertility is something that goes on forever," said Cross.
"When a woman gets older, they get donor eggs, which doesn't make the baby any less beautiful or perfect. One's own eggs only last so long, and sometimes at 43 or 44 you can have your own baby, but statistically it's very difficult and expensive. You don't want to wait that long."

6 Comments:
I agree that they are entitled to their privacy (as is the resulting baby) but I am grateful for the ones that do speak out about their experiences. There was actually an interesting bit about MC in the news talking about donor eggs!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-09-06-cross-pregnant_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA
hmm
link didn't work.
is this better?
www.usatoday.com/life/
people/2006-09-06-cross-pregnant_x.htm
?POE=LIFISVA
Sounds to me like she is admitting to using donor eggs. Babies are the new black in Hollywood, everybody's doing it. There have been quite a few that have been upfront about it (Brooke Shields, Courtenay Cox). Perhaps the tide is turning and this celebrity baby mania can bring IF into the spotlight a little more?
It would be great if they would use their celebrity status to educate others about the difficulties of IF.
That doesn't count as admitting it, but at least she's trying to speak up. Maybe they are trying to protect their future children?
I agree, I'm way out in the open about this, but I'd rather people knew. Not so much because I'm so altruistic, but because it's easier for me not to have to lie about what I'm going through.
I think she was trying to tell without telling outright, ya know. Diana Krall probably thinks that the "twins run in the family" story worked out for Julia Roberts??
Post a Comment
<< Home