A Great Birthday
Friday was my 39th birthday, and it may have been the best birthday of my life. It wasn't because of who was there—my best friend flew in from California for a long weekend although that helped.
It wasn't because I ate fabulous sushi fusion at the same place I went for my birthday last year or that this year I could enjoy some sake with my meal, but it helped.
It wasn't because I was able to be a total gardening geek, going on one garden tour preview on Friday, volunteering for that garden tour the next morning, and then going on yet another gardening tour that afternoon, but it helped.
(Unlike a previous entry, I will not bore you with my lame gardening metaphors, but I am now fully up to my shears in gardening. I'm even taking a three-month super intensive gardening class with professors from the state ag school. We have classes on soil fertility, propagation—at which I suck, metaphorically and otherwise, entomology, etc.
I'm still killing plants but just not at the rate at which I was before.)
And it wasn't because of the wonderful presents I received—watch out, my husband says that my soil knife in its sheath makes me look badass, but they help. Especially, the dark, dark chocolate.
And it certainly wasn't because I'm pregnant. In fact, I'm fairly certain that my period is starting today, making this a 21-day cycle. Yikes.
So then why was this perhaps the best birthday ever? I think it's because I was so thankful that I wasn't miserable. I've been happy lately. I don't have what I wanted and I'm not sure I will get what I want, but I am happy.
And as I blubbered at my birthday dinner, this year was the first in a while that I felt like celebrating. (Somehow I didn't quite explain that right to the hubs. I did appreciate what he did for my birthdays; I just didn't want to celebrate with anyone ELSE until this year.)
Three years ago, I spent my birthday driving to be with my mother as she underwent whole brain radiation after she found out that her cancer had spread to her brain.
I can't even remember what I did for my birthday two years ago. I know I was on clom*d so perhaps that explains the fog.
Last year on my birthday, we were in the midst of an IVF cycle that was cancelled a week later.
I'm not really sure where I am going with this, but I just feel like I owe to you to not just rely on you when I'm down but to let you know when you've helped me reach a happier place.
(Oh, and all this happiness has nothing to do with the following horoscope on my birthday:
LIBRA
(Sep 24 - Oct 23) This weekend brings a quadruple conjunction in your sign of the zodiac. The planets involved include Venus, the ruler of your sign. This is exceptionally auspicious. It suggests a magnificent opportunity - a real change for the better in almost any area of life where you currently need to see an improvement. It may not all happen at once, but if you start to reach for it, it will soon start to happen. Don't rule anything out - apart from more trouble. You don't need that and you don't have to have it.)
But I am hoping that all of you have a happy birthday this year.
It wasn't because I ate fabulous sushi fusion at the same place I went for my birthday last year or that this year I could enjoy some sake with my meal, but it helped.
It wasn't because I was able to be a total gardening geek, going on one garden tour preview on Friday, volunteering for that garden tour the next morning, and then going on yet another gardening tour that afternoon, but it helped.
(Unlike a previous entry, I will not bore you with my lame gardening metaphors, but I am now fully up to my shears in gardening. I'm even taking a three-month super intensive gardening class with professors from the state ag school. We have classes on soil fertility, propagation—at which I suck, metaphorically and otherwise, entomology, etc.
I'm still killing plants but just not at the rate at which I was before.)
And it wasn't because of the wonderful presents I received—watch out, my husband says that my soil knife in its sheath makes me look badass, but they help. Especially, the dark, dark chocolate.
And it certainly wasn't because I'm pregnant. In fact, I'm fairly certain that my period is starting today, making this a 21-day cycle. Yikes.
So then why was this perhaps the best birthday ever? I think it's because I was so thankful that I wasn't miserable. I've been happy lately. I don't have what I wanted and I'm not sure I will get what I want, but I am happy.
And as I blubbered at my birthday dinner, this year was the first in a while that I felt like celebrating. (Somehow I didn't quite explain that right to the hubs. I did appreciate what he did for my birthdays; I just didn't want to celebrate with anyone ELSE until this year.)
Three years ago, I spent my birthday driving to be with my mother as she underwent whole brain radiation after she found out that her cancer had spread to her brain.
I can't even remember what I did for my birthday two years ago. I know I was on clom*d so perhaps that explains the fog.
Last year on my birthday, we were in the midst of an IVF cycle that was cancelled a week later.
I'm not really sure where I am going with this, but I just feel like I owe to you to not just rely on you when I'm down but to let you know when you've helped me reach a happier place.
(Oh, and all this happiness has nothing to do with the following horoscope on my birthday:
LIBRA
(Sep 24 - Oct 23) This weekend brings a quadruple conjunction in your sign of the zodiac. The planets involved include Venus, the ruler of your sign. This is exceptionally auspicious. It suggests a magnificent opportunity - a real change for the better in almost any area of life where you currently need to see an improvement. It may not all happen at once, but if you start to reach for it, it will soon start to happen. Don't rule anything out - apart from more trouble. You don't need that and you don't have to have it.)
But I am hoping that all of you have a happy birthday this year.

7 Comments:
Yaay for better birthdays, and particularly for great sushi. There's just nothing better. And happy birthday sweetie, may this be a wonderful year.
It's so nice to hear what a good place you are in!
Happy belated birthday! I'm so glad it was a great one.
That's a great birthday present you gave yourself. :-)
Happy Belated Birthday!
So glad you had a happy bday... may the happiness continue all year long!
Happy Birthday! I'm glad it really was a happy one for you and I hope the year to come is filled with joy.
Post a Comment
<< Home