Friday, October 16, 2009

This Is It

This is the post I've been wanting to write for over four years.

I'm pregnant.

I'm 17 weeks along, expecting toward the end of March.

I don't think I have ever typed happier words.

I won't go into great detail other than to say this wasn't a surprise miracle, but it's a miracle nonetheless. We had a bit of a rocky start. After great betas, we went in for the "confirmation of pregnancy" seven-week ultrasound, and the doctor saw an empty gestational sac. After a long five days, we went back for another ultrasound before scheduling a d&c. And lo and behold, there he or she was, moving, squirming, with a strong heartbeat, in all his or her embryonic beauty.

Since then all has gone well. I've been tired but no morning sickness. I actually wanted some nausea to help me believe I was really finally pregnant.

One of the many joys of the last few months was meeting Millie and The Mister when they were here to meet Ms. FoodNetwork and BabyFood. They were as wonderful in person as I expected them to be. They were also the first people I told I was pregnant. It seemed right. Following their struggle to become parents helped me continue our path even when it seemed neverending.

We finally told our families and friends two weeks ago. I've never before made so many grown men and women cry. After so many years of unhappy tears, it was wonderful to be a source of happy tears.

We aren't planning on finding out the sex, but we do know that if the baby is a girl, we will name her after my late mother. If it's a boy, we're stuck. We'd like to go with a family name, but the options are less than appealing. We're not really all that concerned. That selecting a name is now our biggest hurdle is amazing and almost unbelievable.

I'm not sure if I'll post again. Heck, I haven't actually been the most prolific, but I did want to let you know that I wouldn't be here without your support over the years. I hope that all of you, with or without children, are able to find peace and happiness.

7 Comments:

Blogger Portlairge said...

I am so happy to see this post pop up in my reader!!! What great news. Many Many congratulations. Please post again in March so we know if you have a boy or girl.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

I hadn't checked any of the blogs in my Reader for weeks and when I checked on them today, I had to do a double take when I saw your blog in bold. A new post from Searching for Zanity?

And then I read it and tears of joy ran down my face. I am so incredibly happy for you! I can understand not wanting to blog any more, but I do hope you will consider posting one more time to tell us if you had a son a or daughter.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Alexa said...

This makes me SO. SO. HAPPY. I've thought of you, and wondered how you were. So glad that this is the answer.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Zhl, it is so fantastic to hear from you, and even better than fantastic to hear this news. I'm so happy for you, my dear! May you have the best, most uneventful pregnancy ever, followed by the most glorious baby. I'll be thinking of you.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Oh sweetie I'm absolutely delighted for you - fantastic fantastic news! I actually came by your blog earlier in the week as I was thinking about you, how lovely to see this news now.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Can I jump up and down like an excited 12-year-old? This is such great news!!!

How are you doing? It can be hard, all that waiting.

I can't believe I missed your post! My feed reader is doing a bad job.

1:22 PM  
Blogger millie said...

I'm such a total loser! I was waiting for an email from you and hadn't checked ANY blogs in months.

So very very excited to read your news here and hope to see you and meet your wee one in the new year!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home